ThoughtSpot’s consumption-based licensing model lets you license ThoughtSpot based on your users’ usage of the ThoughtSpot product. When you purchase a consumption-based ThoughtSpot license, ThoughtSpot bills you based on credits. The ThoughtSpot consumption licensing model is available for both ThoughtSpot Cloud and for Embrace software deployment on your cloud platform.
You purchase and consume credits with the consumption model. A credit is a unit of measure. Usage of ThoughtSpot, measured in usage minutes, consumes credits. Examples of user activity that consume credits include a user performing a search in ThoughtSpot, viewing or editing Pinboards or answers, creating and editing worksheets, or making any administrative changes or setup. Each user actively using ThoughtSpot consumes credits, even if they are using the product at the same time. You consume 1 credit for each usage minute. ThoughtSpot refers to this as credit consumption rate or credit burn rate.
Usage minutes refer to the number of minutes of ThoughtSpot usage. Each user’s usage minutes are calculated separately. Usage minutes are calculated in the following ways:
- Any user activity in the application kicks off a 10 minute usage block.
- Any additional user activity within that 10 minutes does not drive additional consumption and the whole session will be charged at 10 minutes.
- The first click after the initial 10 minute window ends, initiates a second 10 minute session.
Each user’s usage is counted separately.
User activity that incurs usage minutes
User activity is defined as any user-triggered (initiated) action in ThoughtSpot, starting from the time the action is initiated until the time that the results of the action(s) are visible to the user in the product. This includes any time spent by ThoughtSpot in processing the user-triggered action in order to present the results to the user. User activity is measured in usage minutes.
User activity that incurs usage minutes includes any user interaction with the product, such as:
- Clicking on any interactive elements inside the ThoughtSpot product, such as menu items, search boxes, tabs, buttons, icons and other user interface artifacts. Some examples are:
- Performing searches on data or search-related actions such as Explore, filters, drill-down, showing underlying data, and other related actions
- Creating, editing, updating deleting or interacting with Answers, Pinboards, Worksheets, tables, Views, and other objects
- Triggering user-initiated SpotIQ analyses
- Setup and configuration actions in the product (such as those performed in the Admin section of the product or other such parts of the product)
- Uploads, downloads, sharing, triggering the sending of emails from within the product
- Browser actions (such as refreshing the page or using the forward or back buttons)
- Any scrolling in the product that triggers updates to objects or content being viewed For example, if a user is scrolling through a Pinboard, initially it displays only a subset of the charts that can fit on the screen. This counts as initial user activity. At any point, if the user scrolls through the Pinboard, resulting in ThoughtSpot loading and displaying additional charts in that Pinboard for the first time, this counts as additional user activity.
Using the ThoughtSpot consumption licensing model with Embrace software
You do not have to be on ThoughtSpot Cloud to use the consumption-based pricing model. To use the consumption pricing model with Embrace software that you have deployed in your own cloud environment, you must:
- Allow ThoughtSpot to gather product usage information from your cluster. This usage information will be gathered on a periodic basis (daily) from your environment. Usage information is gathered from ThoughtSpot clusters using a secure SSL connection (TLS encrypted).
- Allow ThoughtSpot to serve usage information for accurate in-product usage visibility of credits consumed via a ThoughtSpot-created Embrace connection on your cluster. The Embrace connection is a JDBC connection that uses SSL for transport (TLS encrypted).
Monitor your consumption
You can monitor your credit consumption with the Credit Usage Pinboard, a new default admin-only Pinboard with data from the new Credit Usage Worksheet. You can access this Pinboard by searching for it on the Pinboards page.
The Credit Usage Pinboard contains useful visualizations and headlines you can use to monitor your consumption. You can also search the data yourself, using the Credit Usage Worksheet, and create your own Answers and Pinboards.
The Credit Usage Pinboard contains the following visualizations and headlines:
- Daily Usage, with Unique Users (last 30 days)
- Billable Credits Consumed, All Time
- Billable Credits Consumed, Month to Date
- Credits Purchased, Expiry Date
- Uncapped Credits Consumed, Month to Date
- Uncapped Credits Consumed, All Time
- Credit Consumption & Usage, Top 10 Users, This Month
- Monthly Credits Consumed, with Unique Users
- Weekly Credits Consumed, with Unique Users, Last 8 Weeks
- Month of Year Credit Usage, by User GUID